Skip to main content

The importance of reading Ernest

I've recently been reading Issue 7 of Ernest magazine.

It's coordinated by Jo Tinsley.
She has edited a fantastic magazine, and if you check the website you can also order some past issues for the same cost as the present one.
All of them offer a range of photography, and articles of varying lengths which explore ideas around place.

The standout elements of Issue 7 were the sections on East Anglia, with plenty of familiar places which I know very well, including Snettisham, where I lived for 12 years, and also down into Suffolk. There were explorations on the coastal marshes off Wells-next-the-Sea and also along the Blakeney area.

There were also some excellent photos, and a fascinating piece on a map of Antarctic Women, produced by Carol Devine, which fits very well with some of the work we did on Polar regions, and in the week when the expedition led by Felicity Aston which I have been following and producing some materials for (although shamefully slowly) reached the North Pole successfully.

For more on the Polar map of women and Carol's other projects (including an art project on marine litter in Svalbard called Aquamess, which is just the sort of thing I love to see taking place - I've shared and connected with a range of similar projects over the years), visit Carol's website.



Map copyright Carol Devine (2018)
http://www.caroldevine.info/ 

I shall be ordering some back copies of other issues, as they all look like they will be fascinating reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ideal scenery

Check out this Robert MacFarlane tweet, and the replies that follow for a whole host of ideas on different people's ideal landscapes... Some wonderful images and brief descriptions ideal for sharing... "Tramlines and slagheaps, pieces of machinery, That was, and still is, my ideal scenery." WH Auden Question: what is your "ideal scenery"? pic.twitter.com/8QLS0HRZt9 — Robert Macfarlane (@RobGMacfarlane) July 6, 2017

Glacier Melt Visualisation

This nice interactive infographic visualises the ice loss from Switzerland's glaciers. It is one of several from the VisQuill site , developed by Dr. Benjamin Niedermann.

The path more travelled

I'm currently reading Nicholas Crane's new book on the history of Britain's footpaths: how they came about originally following the drowning of Doggerland , and were then refined by successive waves of change: horses, the Roman invasion etc. It's a dense and scholarly work, with plenty of points of interest and relevance to geographers exploring the connections between people and the landscape. He's taking his book on the road in a series of talks, with three confirmed so far. Here's the description for his talk at Stanford's book shop at the end of the month . He's also speaking in Exeter and Stamford. Walking is a cornerstone of British identity and the most popular form of exercise in the UK. But how much do we know about the paths that we walk? What is their history? Why do they follow the routes that they do? Are they permanent? Can we designate more of them?​ The Path More Travelled is a coast-to-coast history of footpaths from the stone age paths...